Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Baby is Sick

In the last few weeks, we have made a few drastic changes in our life. We had been looking for a house since the middle of June. That was quite an experience. I checked the real estate ads almost every day for houses. We looked at houses almost three times a week for 5 weeks or so. It was like living at an auction for a month: always aware of the new houses on the market. I would be excited only to find myself let down. Finally, at the end of July, we found it. My mother is an avid reader of Craigslist. She had noticed this 3 bedroom with hardwood flooring house listed that day. My mom and I went to look at the house. Then, Borislav and I went to look at the house. We loved what we saw. The floors were hardwood. There was a decent sized back yard. There was a basement for all of our storage and a room for Borislav to have all to himself. It was quite perfect for our needs and wants. My mother encouraged us to make an offer. So, we did. We came to good terms. It now seemed that we had find a house at long last. That night I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about what I would paint the walls, what furniture could go where, what crafts could be made where, what foods could be grown, and so much more. I heard pitter patter of more than one pair of little feet. I feel sometimes that I am living a dream. It's real, fortunately. We have been approved. The house has been inspected. The sellers have agreed to fix all but one of our requests. The house has been appraised for more than the agreed selling price. Now, we are waiting for the lending process to be complete.

What are we doing in the meantime? Well, since we felt very good about the sellers and thought that the house would go through, we did not sign our lease. We moved out in about a week after finding the house. That was difficult. I have never moved with a baby before, and am thankful that we do not have to move again for awhile. It is hard to help a little one understand that mommy and daddy must pack, move boxes, clean the apartment. We are now living at my mother's place. My sister and her baby also live here. It has been a rough transition for all of us. We have different parenting styles, and our babies have different temperaments (bed times as well). Work has been steady. My car does not work, so it is at the salvage yard. I've had to bum rides for the last month or so. That's getting old pretty quick. I just don't think that I can handle trying to apply for two loans at the same time. I also am not sure how long I will continue to work. The need for another car might not really be a need at all.

In and amongst all this, Ilia has come down with a fever. He woke up all through Sunday night/Monday morning wanting to nurse. I didn't know what was going on until the morning. He was oozing mucus profusely-the yellowish goopy kind. I increased his fruit and yogurt intake. I nursed him more often. Yesterday, I found some crusty stuff in his ears. I cleaned them out thinking that it was just cereal. Today, the crusties were there again. Hmm...I called the doctor after a few sleepless nights, feverish days, and runny stuff. I really wanted his body to heal itself. The doctor was disappointed that I didn't give him more tylenol. I should have come in earlier with a sick son who has an ASD (Atrial Septal Defect). I don't believe in over-medicating children or adults. I wish that I knew more about herbal treatments. I think that these changes have been the hardest on him. Someone is awake...time for more mothering my sweet babe.


  1. I'm glad you've found a new place. I can't wait to see pics of your new home!

    I for one, do not encourage excessive medication as well.. usually I'll only take more vitamin C when I'm feeling unwell and it always work. Unless of course if the temperature gets too high, I'll need to see a doctor. Hope your baby gets well soon.


  2. Hey Mikayla, thanks for your support in my giveaway. I was so touched by your dreams.. and you reminded me to add one more dream to my list - to continue to grow spiritually. :)

    By the way, I hope your son has recovered?